This week’s had some highs and lows for me. Lows: a bout of depression that forced me to cancel all commitments and reassess. Highs: camping with my best friend and my husband by Diablo Lake. The lake was the temperature of glacier melt–in my humble, screaming opinion–but it felt incredible after a long, sweaty hike. Another high: getting beers with two very dear friends who helped talk me down off my cliff of anxiety and depression. You all need folks like that in your life!
And now for the Friday Five!
1. The fear of something I feel unprepared for is often disproportionately greater than the challenge of simply preparing for it (Elise’s physics of anxiety).
2. Conversations with mothers of young children occur in 1-2 sentence bursts. I’m going to get really good at concise, powerful one-liners.
3. In the moments when I share how bad I feel, that my thoughts are dismal and the walls are closing in, I open the door for other’s comfort, love, and I give them freedom to share their own stories of darkness with the assurance that they’re in good company.
4. When a friend asks, “How can I better support you in your writing?” I now recognize it to mean, “I love you and care about your success.” For me, learning to say, “How can I support you in____” is becoming a powerful way to impact others’ lives.
5. On a trip to San Francisco this spring, James and I encountered all these hearts scattered throughout the city. We have an established reputation of interacting with art via photos. You’ll see some very silly ones before too long. Here’s a sweet one for now.
This Post Has 3 Comments
dsavannah18 Aug 2012
I totally know how you feel about the depression thing. Boy howdy it sucks. But yeah, we are here for you to help you through it!!!!
I saw quite a few of those hearts when I visited San Fran a couple years ago. Aren’t they lovely? (pun intended)
Elise19 Aug 2012
Thank you, Debbie! It’s been a tough week, but I’m hoping to continue up the slope, and friends help so much! Thank you!
dsavannah20 Aug 2012
you are so welcome. hugs!!!!!!