It’s been a rougher week for me, but I’ve been surrounded by good friends. I’m feeling the urgency to slow down, and autumn’s arrival has helped me with that. I’m also feeling the push to dig into artistic expression to get my sanity back. Hugs and kisses to all of you feeling the same way right now! Here’s what’s knocking around in my head this week:
1. Window seats heal your heart. Serious guys, cushion+sunlight+project on your lap=medicine for a million ills. Find a friend with an old house that has one of these and stake a claim (thank you, Rachel!)
2. Kindness feeds kindness. I felt motivated to write some thoughtful reviews for two books that I read that were published by author friends of mine. One of these friends found my review this week, felt very encouraged, told me how much it meant to her, and promised to review my book in turn. I love blessing and receiving blessings instead of whining about the favors I don’t get.
3. Art heals. Period. Are you grieving a loss? Overcoming a fear? Sick of a mental labyrinth? Fingerpaint, smash some clay, cover the pavement with sidewalk chalk. Make something for your eyes only. I’m taking acrylic paints with me with weekend on my island getaway from the city and I already expect great things.
4. Friendship requires moments of chaotic insanity. I’m sensing a theme, here… In honor of this notion, I invented my own quote in a coffee shop today. I think it’s hilarious and true. Feel free to disagree or tell me it’s brilliant. I love it:
If you ever go off the deep end, please take me with you. I don’t want to be left behind.
5. Laughter’s super good for you. So is being ridiculous. The moustache is fake, you guys. No snarky jokes about middle eastern women and their body hair. Okay, now you can laugh. I keep laughing every time I look at this.